Nomads are my favorite type of real estate investor to work with. Buy and hold real estate investors are my second favorite.
Buy and hold real estate investors, which we also call Flush Nomads, have enough down payment to buy single family homes, duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes, and commercial residential properties with 5 or more units. They are primarily looking to invest to get cash flow and long term wealth building with real estate.
Often they will be repeat buyers. Some will have recently discovered real estate and want to convert other investments like stocks into real estate holdings and so will want to buy a number of properties as quickly as possible. Other times, they will have saved enough for their first down payment on a rental property and buy one unit. But, they’ll be saving for their next property and when they save enough, if you take great care of them, they’ll be back to purchase another property with you then.
Often times, as the equity in their portfolio grows, they will want to tap into the equity in their properties to buy more properties by refinancing and using the proceeds from cash out refinances to buy additional properties.
These are great real estate investor clients to have. They tend to be smart, sophisticated, reasonable, professional, respectful folks that really appreciate someone who specializes in working with real estate investors. As they go out and acquire properties and brag to their friends how well their properties are performing, they become great advocates and referral sources for you. Birds of a feather flock together and so they replicate themselves by referring their friends who are often just like them.
They are often hungry for good information so teaching great classes is important to them and will attract them easily and consistently. Also, many of them believe in the concept of the slight edge and will return for classes they’ve already taken to pick up the one or two things they missed when they took it before, or to look for the latest improvements you’ve made. They’re often professionals in their careers and present well to other newer members of your group. I find many of my buy and hold real estate investors to be greeting and connecting with both new and returning members of the real estate investor group and talking up real estate investing in general and me, specifically, at our meetings. It is like having a small army of advocates wandering the crowd at your group meetings promoting you for free. I certainly appreciate when these folks do that for me and go out of my way to show my appreciation for them whenever I can.
My buy and hold investors and Nomads (which often become buy and hold investors) become great friends. I find us celebrating birthdays, holidays, and other social events together. I find us partnering on deals together. I find it very rewarding to be helping all my best friends improve their wealth with passive income generating cash flow and appreciating real estate.
Buy and hold investors are often looking for larger properties as well. While many start with single family homes, many of them graduate to duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes. Eventually, many start to consider larger apartment buildings as well. This is a natural progression. You’ll find Pareto’s 80/20 principle at work here; a large percentage will want single family homes. A smaller number will be seeking out multi-family properties and a smaller percentage still will want larger apartment complexes. Helping your buy and hold investors purchase larger apartment complexes from time to time can have a significant positive impact on your earnings for the year. I’ve found you get those by taking amazing care of your clients buying single family homes as investments and teaching classes to your investor group to include some larger properties over time. Eventually, you’ll find yourself with a few serious, aggressive investors that want any and all the apartments you can find. My personal philosophy is that you don’t want too many apartment buyers lest you find yourself in awkward situations where a dozen of your clients all want the same apartment that just hit the market; that’s not a good place to be. You do want clients that cover a wide range of what comes up so you have one or two for everything.
With buy and hold investors you can truly have fewer clients and make more money since they buy a lot more frequently, often higher priced multi-family properties and refer more frequently than a typical owner occupant homeowner. Treat these clients and your Nomads as the extremely important friends they are.
- Fewer Clients, More Money
- Working with Real Estate Investors as a Real Estate Agent
- What are Nomads and Why Work with Nomads as a Real Estate Agent?
- What are Bird Dogs and Why Work with Bird Dogs as a Real Estate Agent
- What are Real Estate Wholesalers and Why Work with Wholesalers as a Real Estate Agent
- What are Flippers and Why Work with Flippers as a Real Estate Agent
- What are Creative Real Estate Investors and Why Work with Creative Real Estate Investors as a Real Estate Agent
- What are House Hackers and Why Work with House Hackers as a Real Estate Agent
- Why Start and Run a Real Estate Investor Group
- How to Make Money with a Real Estate Investor Group
Access Locked Content
Upgrade to access additional Premium Nomad resources like:
- Unlimited use of Nomad Calculator Classic
- Track Tasks on Ultimate Nomad Checklists (Outline) BETA
- Access Web-based Bookkeeping and Accounting Application BETA
- Premium Classes
- Asset Protection 101: Overview for Nomads Class
- Asset Protection 102: Document Examples Class
- $6,000 Lease Class
- The Lease Option - The Lease Part II Class
- Fully editable Premium Downloads Personal License
- $6,000 Lease Download in Word format
- Lease-Option Download in Word format
- Rental Application Download in Excel format
- Rental Application Evaluation Worksheet Download in Excel format
- Rental Application Evaluation Criteria Download in Word format
- Move-In Inspection Report Download in Word format
- Nomad Calculator 3™ ALPHA
- James Orr Real Estate Services LLC Client Newsletter
Want to work with Real Estate Investors? If you're a Real Estate Agent or other professional and want to work with real estate investors through your own local real estate investor group, check out our Professional Membership options.